Seniors will be leaving us this week so its time to review the guidelines for living on your own and sticking with a BUDGET! You have to create a plan for your spending so you don’t end up in DEBT.
First, let’s review the guidelines we discussed, based on good ol’ Oprah…
- PYF – Pay Yourself First! – If you remember nothing else from our semester together, please remember this. ALWAYS put a portion of your paycheck into a savings and/or investment account. If you need evidence of this important rule, you can recall Dave Ramsey’s case study of Ben and Arthur.
- Housing – DON’T BE HOUSE POOR! 35% is on the high-end and includes utilities and maintenance. Closer to 25-30% would allow you to have more spending money. The choice is yours. Remember Seth Green and his CRIB.
- Transportation – Car, gas, insurance. Remember that most experts recommend buying, not leasing! Check out the pros and cons at MoneyCrashers.com HERE.
- Debt – get rid of it! Remember the three ‘acceptable’ types; student loans, mortgages and car payments. Try to avoid credit card debt.
- Other living expenses – You have to eat! And get insurance. And many other things we discussed this year. If you’re feeling frugal, decrease this expense and increase your savings.
I hope you learned some valuable information this semester and I wish you the best of luck out in the real world!