DECA States competition starts a week from today! March 17th, 2017 at the Convention Center in Columbus, Ohio. As a result I’d like to bring out some ideas when presenting in front of the judges…
You have to look at each competition and each person as a separate thing and know when you should look at them together. You need to know when you need to separate them so that you are able to look at each by itself and know when you need to attack each problem or attack them together for a better result.
These are some of the tips and tricks that you are able to use when in the competition so that you will have a separate advantage overs so you have an overall advantage over the others:
- Don’t focus on others
- Look at the time and question to pace yourself
- Make mock cards & flyers (Gives a tip up)
- Never drink too much or eat, bad on an upset stomach
- Always shake the judges hand
- At end thank them for their time
- Know all key facts of the role play
- Put the key facts and information on the back of the card so that the judge cannot see, but you have the points listed.
- Always smile and make eye contact. (It shows that you know what you are talking about and have the ability to build an important thesis)
To have an effective point that you have to present, you have look at all of these points and take them all into consideration at the same time. With this, you are able to have an effective thesis and a better presentation compared to the others that you are competing against.